Good Shepherd Services (also known as the House of the Good Shepherd of the City of Baltimore) operates within the framework and heritage of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, an order of consecrated Catholic women founded to help women and girls in crisis. The origins of the Good Shepherd services reach back to 1641 when St. John Eudes established the work in Caen, France. From one of these early houses, St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier (1796-1868) founded the House of the Good Shepherd in 1829 in Angers, France and in 1835 she formed a generalate to administer expanding services. Today more than 4,000 Sisters are located on six continents. There are a total of 450 centers around the world; the Sisters serve in more than 35 cities in North America and in 72 countries throughout the world. For more information on the Sisters of the Good Shepherd, click here.
The Sisters of the Good Shepherd have been serving the needs of Maryland’s adolescents and their families since 1864 when they opened the first House of the Good Shepherd in Baltimore City. Sisters from Louisville, Kentucky were aided by Rev. Thomas Foley and Mrs. Emily MacTavish in establishing the house at Mount and Hollins Streets in Baltimore. A second house was established at Calverton Road and Franklin Street in 1892 with the assistance of Reverend Lambert J. Welbers, S.S.J. and Mother Katharine Drexel, S.B.S., in 1892. The programs merged in 1965 at the Calverton Road location. In 1970, GSS moved to its current location in suburban Baltimore County, located 15 minutes from downtown Baltimore on a seventy acre wooded campus.
Since 1970, the Sisters and staff of Good Shepherd Services have committed themselves with new energy to provide high quality services to teenagers and their families. Click here for an historical explanation of residence and room names at Good Shepherd Services.
4100 Maple Ave
Baltimore, MD 21227
Phone: (410) 247-2770
Fax: (410) 247-3242